Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Match Report: Loko vs Clapham Rovers A

Sportsman's League, 
Bert Gaby Challenge Cup (1st leg)
Sun 10 Nov 2013
Loko 1 vs Clapham Rovers (A) 4 


Match report courtesy of Matthew aka Woody and edited by Ivan

Not sure if we turned up?...

Loko faced a tough challenge against a very technical and hard working Clapham Rovers team. With a few changes to the line up and no John in goal we didn't seem to get things together from the the whistle.

Clapham Rovers passed the ball well and we were giving away possession in our own half and allowing them far too many opportunities.

Soon enough the inevitable happened and Clapham bagged the first goal where their number 11 beat our offside trap 30 yards from goal and crucified Terry from 5 yards out.

We were simply not tight enough in defence.We then turned on the Loko fight back and started getting stuck in. From a Woody clearance the ball ended up down the right wing with Adil getting his dead down and driving into the box, squaring it to JAMES who finished well to the bottom right on 31 minutes.

Fortunately I think we have all blocked the rest out of our minds and apart from blocked shots and an additional 2/3 good chances....Matt hitting the bar...a couple of chances from James and Adil who missed a great opportunity when his shot was blocked at the last second by a defender as his shot looked like it was definitely goalbound from 2 yards out.

We didn't have much else and Clapham went on to score an additional 2 goals including a splendid volley from the edge of the box a la Van Basten  in the 1988 Euro final vs Russia then followed by a goal at the near post where their number 7 flicked the ball into our goal at the near post with the outside of his foot following a free kick down the wing.

We had them on the counter attack every time but when playing so high up the pitch we didn't manage to get back into position quick enough.

On 67 minutes, Dave F, who'd made his comeback despite a lingering post cruciate ligament injury found himself clear in their box and looked to connect with a cross by James but he lost his footing and missed the opportunity to get us back on track.

Our league record is still good with a LWW record but a good cup run will be hard with 3 goals to take it to extra time in the second leg.

With only 10 minutes on the clock, their rampant winger skipped past Marcel and then Ivan down the left wing and, with only Terry to bea,t chipped our stand-in keeper with aplomb to drive the last nail in the Loko coffin.

We need to recover and get revenge on Maverick this Sunday. Let's work hard for it this Sunday.

MOM: ADIL who provided a great assist and worked his socks off upfreont, helping out in the midfield and even going deep into defence to retrieve loose balls. Very well done Adil! Special mentions to Matt, James and Neil.

Line-up: Terry - Morris (then Dave F, 46'), Neil, Mark, Marcel - Gary (then Ivan 70'), Matt, Diego (then Andre 75') - James, Matthew - Adil

No comments: